Sunday, December 6, 2009

New ideas

I really should stop having new ideas just before a market. It completely throws me and my plans - I just can't resist trying something out, which usually results in a new direction and my previously planned out 'collection' is warped by this new idea.

So, the story goes that last night Mum and I went to the opening of the George St Artist Group exhibition in Hamilton Hill. I love openings because they have a vibe and it is lovely seeing the people who make the art there. Plus with my current funds crisis free food and booze doesn't go astray either! Anyway, there was some great art there. I decided, while looking at one piece in particular, that I needed to start and art collection fund. Just small amounts to be saved so that when I go to something like that and see something I really love, I can actually buy it. But this is beside the point...

One of the women there had made this incredible wall hanging of silk and hand dyed...something, silk perhaps, and had used a technique she called something I can't remember (I was in awe of what I was looking at, okay, not taking in the details!) but I saw it as reverse applique.

I've been thinking about reverse applique for a while now. I love, love, love applique - the kind that you do with silk thread and minuscule needles and liberty fabric. I first read about reverse applique in a book about using Charles Rennie Mackintosh's designs as inspiration for embroidery and thought it was intriguing. However, I find it hard to use books for inspiration - I really need to see and touch something to get an idea of how it is made.

Anyway, this morning I got up at 6am and made the bag below. My first reverse applique and I'm pretty happy with it. I have lots of other ideas for smaller applique...




Like I said, it is annoying having new ideas just before a market!

2 comments:

  1. So I see my desk is covered now too? What about if DiddlyDee needs somewhere tpo sit when she's missing her Mummy? I love this new idea, I don't understand how it is reverse applique, but it looks really cute anyways! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm, yes, you have no space left here now. Sorry... I've managed to contain it to the work room tho! It is reverse applique because I sew the pretty bit to the back of the other bit and then cut a hole out of the front. I'll show you when you get back! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails