Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Inspiration

I think the most influential design style or period for me is the Arts and Crafts movement. And while I love William Morris, I think far more delicious, more sensual, more lovely, are Charles Rennie Mackintosh and his wife, Margaret MacDonald Mackintosh's work. I have eight postcards stuck on my wall above my desk and four of them are from these two artists.



When I was in Glasgow a few years ago their work, mostly absolutely beautifully preserved, were my favourite things to see.


I'm finding that more of my work and the ideas swimming around in my head come from their work. I'm endlessly thinking about long lines and circles, about flowers and natural motifs.


But it is interesting because I don't think my work is much like this amazing stuff. It is a lot more simple, there is a lot 'less' in my work, but I can certainly see the places it has come from.
There isn't a great deal of information about the Mackintoshs on the internet. They seem to be a bit lost - except in Glasgow of course. And my best advice is to go there and see their stuff, walk in the rooms they designed and decorated, eat in the tearooms they created and immerse yourself in their beautiful, beautiful work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails