Monday, November 9, 2009

Tags, labels and why markets are hard work

Eight Crows has its first showing at the Made on the Left market on Saturday. A teacher I had a few months ago, who was inspiring and generous, encouraged me to apply. I found out that I got into the market about a month and a half ago. At that time I had about five bags and eight brooches. Suffice to say that my time since then has been taken up with sewing, sewing, sewing. I've enjoyed it, although it has been hard work.

When I put up my hand for the market, however, I hadn't really thought about what it would mean and after I got in, I wrote a list. Besides my product, including making sure each is as perfect and complete as possible (I do have a mantra: it doesn't have to be perfect - it's hand made!), there is a lot to do.

One of the things I've enjoyed getting ready the most is the swing tags and labels for my work. It has been an ongoing process - I think I perfected the design and materials for the main swing tag about four months ago - and I've enjoyed how creative starting with little can make me. Because, of course, there are no personalised tags letterpressed by an artiste or even custom made stickers for the start of this business. I've had to make everything. The only things I've bought were sticky labels and of course ink for the printer. I actually like the idea of this too - not only is my product handmade but my labels, packaging, stickers, signs are too. Well, handmade in the sense that I (and/or my wonderful mum who came yesterday for a label and tag blitz) typed the stuff into the computer, printed it out, stuck it on, cut it out, wrote on it and put ribbons on it. That's pretty handmade I think.

And because I'm so pleased with how they've turned out, here is a picture of the jewellery tags:




Finally, to the link. This is the author Elizabeth Gilbert speaking on Ted.com. I have mixed feelings about Gilbert. I enjoyed Eat, Pray, Love and I think she has a very interesting life and perspective. But I did feel a bit cheated to find out that she used her advance for the book to travel to write the book. Still, I'm willing to forgive - how else is a writer able to make money anyway? And this talk has put her back on my 'worth listening to' list. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails